Thursday, January 21, 2010

Lights, face-off, action!

This image has no real focal point, but I was experimenting with capturing action shots and this was one of the better efforts. I'd been reading a very helpful thread over at Elements Village that gave some pointers about shooting sports. The tip to shoot RAW for the chance to lighten dark photos during processing was a GREAT idea. My "sports" mode photos were brighter, but noisier, and I don't have the option of RAW when using the Scenes on my camera.

Shutter: 1/250, f/5.6, ISO 1600, 154mm RAW, Manual mode.


5 comments:

  1. This is really clear and detailed and I really love how the colors pop in this...Great effort and what a great turn out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Focal Point? Action Drama Tension,wonderful angles and perspective, you have taken us there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can feel the tension in the shot. Perhaps it would help to back off a bit and take the shot with a little bit of a wider angle next time so you have room to crop a bit. And it's a good excuse to go back to another hockey game!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did a fantastic job on this. Great clarity, color, detail. How much did you have to adjust the exposure in post processing? I was talking to a dad who shoots my son's hockey team and he said he can bring it up 3 stops. That seemed a lot to me, but his shots come out pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Julie. I'm not sure how to tell how much I changed the exposure. i just grabbed the slider in the RAW editor and slid until it looked better than the dark original. :-)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?